Church of the True Light has its beginning way back in 1911. A missionary of the C.E.Z missions in Singapore, Miss Apple first embarked on the idea of organizing a mission for the Heng-Hua speaking Chinese in Singapore. Mr (later Rev. Canon) Guok Koh Muo then a young man of 21 newly arrived from China and responded to the call. He started gospel meetings in the evenings with a handful of those from the Heng-Hua community in a friend’s barber shop in Bencoolen Street. As the congregation grew and outsized its place and a bigger premise became inevitable.
In 1949 a Church Building Fund committee was formed to make plan to build the new Church. On 4th of October 1951 (St Francis Day) the foundation stone was laid by the Rt. Rev Henry Wolfe Baines the then Lord Bishop of Singapore.
The Church of the True Light became a parish on the 24th day of February 1963. It came to be known as “The Trishaw rider Church” because it was actively sharing the Gospel to trishaw riders, taxi drivers, bus conductors and neighborhood shop keeper and residents.
It is located in famous Little India in Singapore. Over the years, True Light has grown from a congregation of Heng-Hwa speaking believers and a Chinese Church. It has also extended its outreach to many ethnic groups and currently we have four (4) major languages services in the Parish.
It is indeed a major breakthrough for a Chinese dialect based Church to reach out to Chinese Speaking, English speaking, Indian community and Indonesia speaking groups. Indeed as the Church celebrated its centenary celebration in 2011, we continue to pray that the people in Church of True Light will continue to shine for Christ and fulfill the great commission of God as we enter into the next lap.